Tuesday, January 01, 2008

He Was Gathered To His People

In the books of Genesis and Exodus the phrase “gathered to his people” is used in connection with the deaths of Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and Aaron. Genesis 25:8 says, “Then Abraham breathed his last and died in a good old age, an old man and full of years, and was gathered to his people.” When I ponder that phrase I picture the spirits of these men leaving their bodies and making their way to the spirits of those who have gone on before them.

My dad passed away two days ago. He, too, was gathered to his people. Dad’s “people” (his parents) were Christians and I am told that they were fine people. They passed away early in dad’s life. To me they are just faces on a picture that go with a few stories dad told about them. I envision dad being gathered to his mom and dad and becoming acquainted in a way that dad was never privileged to share in this life. There will be no separation this time. Eternity is their’s to share and enjoy.


Two Groups of People

The book of Revelation paints a picture of two groups of people: those faithful to the Lord and those who follow after Satan.

Each group is pictured in two different settings, one while living on earth and one after this life is over. Those faithful to the Lord are represented in various ways such as the 144,000, a great multitude, the bride of Christ, those having the seal of God in their foreheads, and the great city, holy Jerusalem. Those serving Satan are pictured as those in league with a beast, having his mark on their hand or forehead, following a great serpent and performing abominable deeds with the great harlot. All people are pictured as in either one or the other group. No one has a question mark on their forehead. They wear either the seal of God or the mark of Satan, indicating their allegiance.

Each group has a different destiny. The faithful of the Lord live forever in paradise where “God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." (Revelation 21:4). The followers of Satan are those of whom it is said, “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8).

To Whom Will You Be Gathered?

Christians are the “people of God” (1 Peter 2:10). Those who are not Christians are “people of this world” (1 Corinthians 5:10).

When you and I die we will be gathered to our people. Who have we made “our people” in this life? Those who serve the Lord Jesus Christ or the people of this world? Since the ultimate destiny of every person is one of these two groups, you need to decide who you want to be gathered with. If you love this life and its sin and pleasures, then do nothing. However, if you want an eternity of peace and comfort with the best people who lived this life, then you need to be following Christ. You'll be gathered to your people in the end so be certain that the people you call friends are the people of God.

Dad’s death is a sad event for me. I will miss him so very much. However, I have a hope that I will be gathered to my people, the people of God. When that happens I will be with dad throughout the ages, no longer separated by the pain of death. Knowing how much my dad loved me and desired to be with me in this life, I’m confident that he’ll be the first to greet me when I arrive.

No comments: